Thursday, May 4, 2017

11. Read a book that is set more than 5000 miles from your location - Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey

The Read Harder Challenge is supposed to be about stepping outside your reading comfort zone, and picking books that you normally wouldn't read. So I consider this entry to be a bit of cheating on my part, because "Book With Spaceship On The Front" is exactly what I normally like to read. But it's set in the Asteroid Belt between Earth and Mars, and last time I checked, that was definitely more than 5000 miles from Sydney, Australia.

I was overjoyed when I was informed on Twitter that the TV series The Expanse is based on the novels by James S.A. Corey (actually two writers, who write alternate chapters). The Expanse is one of the better science fiction series on TV, mostly because there's an interesting range of characters.

I'm not sure I quite liked the book as much as the TV series, but it was enjoyable enough that I'll keep reading the series.

(EDIT: C'mon Netflix, where is Season 2!?)

One thing though, I'm getting a bit tired of the format "One Character Per Chapter". I didn't really enjoy it in Game of Thrones either. I find it disruptive! 

I'd be interested to find out if anyone else feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment